· List! Prioritize and make a list of what all needs to be done (with the understanding the list is NEVER going to end and not to stay up til midnight every night trying to check everything off)
· Teamwork! We enjoy working together and consider these evening “date nights” however sometimes we have to divide in conquer.
· Family & Friends! Our family & friends are awesome and we couldn’t do all we do without them – always willing to pitch in and help any time they can.
· Saying No! This is one that is a tough one, I hate to tell people no AND hate missing out on things however we have chosen to live the farm life. Daily chores don’t get done on their own J
· Balance! This is one my Dad preaches to us all the time is it can’t be all work even though that’s what we love to do. We are still working on this one – our goal is to take one day a week “off”.
· Dinner! No matter how busy life gets, we always share a meal together. Our meal may not be fancy and sometimes is out in the field but that isn’t the important part, the important part is the time together. Dinner time usually consist of storytelling about our day or something funny. We try to set the “to do list” aside and just enjoy each other’s company.
· Sense of Humor! Let’s face it, if we didn’t laugh things could get ugly. J Like the time its pitch black out, we have head lights on, trying to catch loose chickens … we could have been grouchy but we were laughing so hard it didn’t matter.
The last thing that gets us through the day is the love & passion for farming. Yes, it’s a lot of work however there is nothing more rewarding. At the end of the day, we can sit back and be proud of the food we are growing, raising and producing for our family and yours.